WED, 2:45PM ET
ATL5
MAL0
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV2
ZEN0

Football Manager 2008

256px Football Manager 2008 Football Manager 2008Frustrated by Rafa’s rotation policy at Liverpool and think the Reds should be better? Angry that Valencia is falling apart as we speak under Ronald Koeman? Think you could lead Manchester United to another treble? Then Football Manager 2008 is the game for you.I know this game has been out for a while here in the US but I haven’t seen any “reviews” for it on soccer blogs or websites around the internet, so I wanted to put something out there for those of you who may be interested.This isn’t your typical soccer video game like EA Sports’ FIFA series or Konami’s Pro Evolution Soccer. In FM 2008 you don’t actually play the game on the field; rather, you take complete control of nearly any club or national team in the world as their manager. You can buy, loan, and sell players, schedule friendlies, set up your team and player tactics in nauseating detail; in short, anything a manager is responsible for in real life you become responsible for as well.If you want to look at all the nifty features and whatnot, I encourage you to go to the game’s official website at http://fm08.footballmanager.net/en/article/100/index.html. I’m not going to go into specifics here other than what I’ve already covered but suffice it to say that this game is worth the money. You can also download a free demo if you want to get a feel for what FM 2008 is like and then decide whether or not to buy the full game.I definitely recommend this game to anyone interested in soccer. As I said, it’s not the typical video game but that’s what drew me to this series in the first place. This “review” doesn’t do it justice in the least and so if you’re intrigued, check out the website for yourself. In fairness, the game did have a few bugs and kinks to be worked out but several patches have been released that should have addressed and corrected those errors.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Football Manager 2008

1. Kent says:

Can you get it for a Mac? As I age, the FIFA-type stuff doesn’t interest me as much. This looks like a perfect way to waste an evening.

2. Michael says:

Kent, yes you can get it for Mac.

It is a perfect way to spend an hour or seven, you’re right. Trust me, once you get playing it’s hard to stop.

3. Kent says:

Can you play any team you want? And, are the teams one plays just in the UK or are they European-wide? Sounds pretty damn cool, I’ll have to check out the official website.

4. Jeff Hash says:

Kent, there are hundreds of clubs from all around the world in this game. You can be European, South American, Asian, or even MLS if you want. There’s even national teams to fulfill a world cup run. In England, you can be Premier League, Coca-Cola Championship, or even Blue Square Conference South if you want.

The full list of available countries in the game is here on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Manager_2008

5. Shakira Graham says:

I have no idea how many of my grades suffered from this version and 06 and 07. Introduced it to my friends and now three of them are FM addicts like me. I love this game.

6. Darin says:

I have both this and FIFA Manager 08. You’ll say to yourself, “I’ll play a match week; shouldn’t take more than an hour.”

About four hours later, you wonder where the time went. :)

7. Dan says:

Played the ’08 version (Worldwide Soccer Manager as it’s known on this side of the water) for about a day and have gone back to the ’07 version as there’s too many bugs for my liking. Maybe when a decent patch is out I’ll have another look, but for me the enhancements from ’07 to ’08 aren’t worth the irritating bugs… getting sacked completely out the blue, despite decent results, really does leave you feeling like you’ve completely wasted all those lost hours you’ve spent playing.