- Manchester United has a severe weakness in the back. In their matches against West Ham and Everton, Man United has let in three goals. All three of them have been headers (Cahill, A. Ferdinand and Upson) from crosses into the box. It’s something for Fergie and Quieroz to work on with the defenders during training this week. Otherwise they’ll get eaten alive in the Champions League.
- Dimitar Berbatov is a football god. There simply isn’t another striker in the world right now who’s on as hot of a scoring streak as Berbatov. His third goal for Spurs against Reading this past weekend was out of this world. Shh. Don’t tell anyone, but he reminds me of Johann Cruyff. Just like Man United, both Reading and Spurs need to spend some time working on their defending. Oh my.
- The long ball game isn’t dead. In recent weeks, teams like Arsenal and Spurs have shown how effective the long ball game can be at times. For Arsenal, their first three goals against Everton would have made Wimbledon proud. Spurs, when Robbie Keane plays, have perfected the art of the long ball goal: Robinson floats a long ball into the opposing penalty box, Berbatov heads it back toward goal and Keane bangs it in.
- Manchester City isn’t a joke anymore. Sure, Liverpool had a ton of chances, but it was Man City’s incredible defending by Dunne, Richards, Onuoha and Ball that kept City in this match as well as Joe Hart’s brilliant reflex save. Sven is a genius.
- Chelsea look so incredibly average. It’s been a couple of weeks since I’ve been able to watch a Chelsea match uninterrupted without Christmas shopping or company getting in the way, so I was shocked to see how average the Blues looked against Newcastle this past Saturday. If Newcastle had been able to do better at converting their chances, they could have been the first team in four years to beat Chelsea at home in the league. The African Nation’s Cup hasn’t even started yet and Chelsea is already in trouble and the Blues fans are losing faith.
- Boro the unpredictable conquer the Pompey monopoly. For the first time in 54 years, Boro won in the league at Fratton Park. I’ve given up predicting Boro. They always do the opposite of what I’d imagine them to do. But full credit to Middlesbrough and especially Tuncay who has been a relevation this season for the Teeside club.
- Full credit to West Ham. Upton Park is never an easy place for a top four club to visit. Curbishley has turned the ship around, the home fans are as wild as ever and the Hammers now face the prospect of trying to beat Arsenal at Emirates again.
More in General,Leagues: EPL
Whatever your take on Daniel Levy, you have to admit that the Tottenham Hotspur chairman is a bit of a wizard in the transfer market. Hard as nails to deal with, his insistence on getting the best possible transfer deal, penny for penny, led Sir Alex Ferguson to say dealing […]
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said on Wednesday he will not rush injury-prone striker Daniel Sturridge back into first-team action until the England international can prove he is more “robust.” Sturridge, 26, was on the bench for Saturday’s 4-1 demolition of erstwhile Premier League leaders Manchester City, the first time he […]
Feeling over-Klopped yet? Allow Isaac to help. In an opportunity arranged by LFCTV, young Isaac was given an exclusive at Melwood with the new Liverpool boss, resulting in this adorable six-minute interview. From enticing Klopp into a Gene Simmons impression to the challenge of trying to expand his Scouse, Isaac […]
As Jamie Vardy skipped past Chancel Mbemba’s sliding challenge to slot past Rob Elliot, Vardy equalled the Premier League record of scoring in ten consecutive matches. The record is especially astonishing considering that Vardy was playing non-league football just three seasons ago. Now, to sit atop the Premier League goalscoring […]
Arsenal midfielder Francis Coquelin has been ruled out for 12 weeks, Gunners boss Arsene Wenger confirmed on Tuesday. Coquelin suffered a knee ligament injury during Arsenal’s 2-1 defeat at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday and scans have now revealed the extent of the problem. Speaking after Arsenal’s vital 3-0 win […]
One of the most enjoyable things about listening to former players and managers talk is the stories about characters they’ve worked with in years gone by. The quirks of iconic coaches such as Bob Paisley, Brian Clough, Bill Shankly and Sir Alex Ferguson, and perhaps how players like Paul Gascoigne, […]
Depleted Juventus host Manchester City on Wednesday looking for the win that would secure their passage to the last 16 of the Champions League. City’s 3-1 win away to Sevilla last time out left Manuel Pellegrini’s men top of Group D on nine points and, with Juventus one point behind […]
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger the broke news, and the hearts of Arsenal fans, on Monday by confirming defensive midfielder Francis Coquelin will be sidelined “at least two months” with a knee injury suffered during Arsenal’s disappointing 2-1 defeat to West Brom on Saturday. Coquelin is one of the most important […]
No matter how you spin Swansea’s record so far this season, the situation looks bleak in South Wales. While the club has achieved victories against Aston Villa, Manchester United and Newcastle, it has been mired by a string of losses against Arsenal, Watford, Southampton, Stoke and Norwich, as well as draws […]
Arsenal have been dealt a blow with the news that midfielder Francis Coquelin will be out for at least two months with a knee injury. Manager Arsene Wenger announced that the 24-year-old Frenchman suffered knee ligament damage in Saturday’s 2-1 Premier League defeat at West Bromwich Albion. Coquelin will now […]
At some point while we mostly stopped paying attention, Theo Walcott — young, prodigious, “next up” star of tomorrow — stopped existing only in the future tense. Walcott is 26 now (yes, you’re old), and should be in his prime. In fact, he probably is in his prime, and therein […]
Tim Sherwood has expressed his disappointment after being sacked by Aston Villa. The former Villa boss was dismissed on Sunday after their sixth straight defeat left them rooted in the Barclays Premier League relegation zone and without a win since the opening day. MORE SHERWOOD: 7 candidates | Tim’s machismo […]
Harry Kane is convinced that Tottenham's growing confidence can inspire them to victory in Sunday's North London derby at Arsenal. Spurs are undefeated in the Premier League since the opening day of the season and again highlighted their potential to reach the division's top four in Monday's 3-1 defeat of […]
Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino is backing his ultra-fit players to make a full recovery in time for Sunday’s North London derby against Arsenal. Spurs have endured a demanding week ahead of the crunch match at the Emirates Stadium, after beating Aston Villa 3-1 on Monday and edging past Anderlecht 2-1 […]
Jose Mourinho has been given a one-match stadium ban and a £40,000 fine by the Football Association. The Chelsea boss was hit with a misconduct charge after being sent to the stands during his side’s 2-1 defeat at West Ham last month. An Independent Regulatory Commission confirmed Mourinho’s punishment. which will take […]
The audience size for Premier League matches on US television via NBC Sports has grown by 150% on average compared to three years ago when the league’s games were on FOX Sports and ESPN, according to a report today in the Wall Street Journal. The article, which is unfortunately behind […]
As the number of soccer games available to viewers in the United States continues to grow year over year, the space is becoming more competitive. There’s more choice now than there ever has been before. But which networks and leagues are doing the greatest job at enticing viewers to tune […]
Juan Mata believes Manchester United teammate Wayne Rooney deserves respect rather than the scrutiny and scorn of late. The 30-year-old has enjoyed a record-breaking start to the season, but becoming England’s all-time top scorer has not failed to take attention away from a clutch of underwhelming displays. SEE MORE: Memphis needs […]
For at least a brief while on Saturday, after a thrilling last minute goal gave them a win against Watford and before Manchester City and Leicester City played, Manchester United took a once-familiar spot on top of the English Premier League table. Since Alex Ferguson ushered in an era of […]
Contrary to most media attention, there have actually been two recent Premier League managerial vacancies. The same day as Brendan Rodgers’ Liverpool departure, Dick Advocaat of Sunderland resigned from his post, saying the tools he was given to work with weren’t enough to keep the Black Cats in the Premier […]