- Manchester United has a severe weakness in the back. In their matches against West Ham and Everton, Man United has let in three goals. All three of them have been headers (Cahill, A. Ferdinand and Upson) from crosses into the box. It’s something for Fergie and Quieroz to work on with the defenders during training this week. Otherwise they’ll get eaten alive in the Champions League.
- Dimitar Berbatov is a football god. There simply isn’t another striker in the world right now who’s on as hot of a scoring streak as Berbatov. His third goal for Spurs against Reading this past weekend was out of this world. Shh. Don’t tell anyone, but he reminds me of Johann Cruyff. Just like Man United, both Reading and Spurs need to spend some time working on their defending. Oh my.
- The long ball game isn’t dead. In recent weeks, teams like Arsenal and Spurs have shown how effective the long ball game can be at times. For Arsenal, their first three goals against Everton would have made Wimbledon proud. Spurs, when Robbie Keane plays, have perfected the art of the long ball goal: Robinson floats a long ball into the opposing penalty box, Berbatov heads it back toward goal and Keane bangs it in.
- Manchester City isn’t a joke anymore. Sure, Liverpool had a ton of chances, but it was Man City’s incredible defending by Dunne, Richards, Onuoha and Ball that kept City in this match as well as Joe Hart’s brilliant reflex save. Sven is a genius.
- Chelsea look so incredibly average. It’s been a couple of weeks since I’ve been able to watch a Chelsea match uninterrupted without Christmas shopping or company getting in the way, so I was shocked to see how average the Blues looked against Newcastle this past Saturday. If Newcastle had been able to do better at converting their chances, they could have been the first team in four years to beat Chelsea at home in the league. The African Nation’s Cup hasn’t even started yet and Chelsea is already in trouble and the Blues fans are losing faith.
- Boro the unpredictable conquer the Pompey monopoly. For the first time in 54 years, Boro won in the league at Fratton Park. I’ve given up predicting Boro. They always do the opposite of what I’d imagine them to do. But full credit to Middlesbrough and especially Tuncay who has been a relevation this season for the Teeside club.
- Full credit to West Ham. Upton Park is never an easy place for a top four club to visit. Curbishley has turned the ship around, the home fans are as wild as ever and the Hammers now face the prospect of trying to beat Arsenal at Emirates again.
More in General,Leagues: EPL
Manchester City will be looking to bounce back from the 3-1 home defeat to Leicester City last weekend when they play Tottenham in the final Premier League match of round 26. The Citizens have not been very consistent recently with three wins, two draws and a defeat in their last […]
The biggest game of the weekend will see Leicester City travel to the Emirates Stadium to play Arsenal on Sunday (7am ET kickoff in the United States on NBCSN). The Foxes shocked the Premier League when they trounced Manchester City 3-1 last weekend away from home to establish themselves as […]
It’s a rarity that England’s top four will all play each other on the same day. It’s even rarer to have it happen this late in the season. Though it shouldn’t be entirely a surprise in this the wackiest of Premier League campaigns, this Sunday’s collision of 1st and 3rd […]
On Sunday, one of the most pivotal matches of the Premier League season will occur when Leicester City, currently in first place, travels to play Arsenal, in their usual position of fourth place, in a contest that will have major implications on the Foxes and Gunners title chances. Fans of […]
Kurt Zouma suffered an unsettling injury during Chelsea’s Premier League match against Manchester United in last week’s fixture at Stamford Bridge. His fall was so awkward and his pain so obvious that United’s Juan Mata immediately called for a stoppage of play, frantically signaling to the bench that his opponent needed treatment. Following the match, the […]
The betting industry has done nothing but grow and many fear that it’s the sole industry responsible for fixed matches that have plagued soccer for decades. We can safely conclude that sports betting has never been bigger. With all the new ways of placing bets through mobile applications and online […]
The threat of relegation may be gone but Chelsea continue to dwell in the bottom half of the table coming into this fixture. The Blues have picked up only two league wins and six draws since Guus Hiddink took over which is not good enough for a club with top […]
Sunderland welcome Manchester United to the Stadium of Light on Saturday as they continue to seek for points that will push them out of the bottom three. Sam Allardyce’s men are four points away from safety after picking up a point in the 2-2 draw away at Liverpool last week […]
Diego Costa will wear a mask to play Newcastle United this weekend after breaking his nose in training. The Spain striker, who clashed heads with Fikayo Tomori, a Chelsea under-21 player who had been invited to train with the first team, will be the second masked player in the side […]
NBC Sports Group’s Premier League coverage this weekend features a Super Sunday of action, highlighted by matches between the league’s top four clubs this Sunday, Feb. 14. Coverage begins with first-place Leicester City visiting third-place Arsenal at 7 a.m. ET on NBCSN and TELEMUNDO, with fourth-place Manchester City hosting second-place […]
There are only a handful of clubs who start the season with the realistic goal of winning the Premier League, yet there are many more who can entertain the thought of lifting the FA Cup. Yet so great is the wealth gap between England’s top-flight clubs and the rest that […]
NBC’s live coverage of the Premier League game between Chelsea and Manchester United led the way last weekend in the most-viewed soccer game on US television. An average of 779,000 watched the game, which was televised live on the NBCSN from 11am to 1pm ET on Sunday, February 7. Altogether, […]
Manchester City and Everton face off today in a crucial battle to determine who will meet Liverpool in the Capital One Cup Final. After Liverpool’s victory against Stoke City on penalty kicks last night, there’s the prospect of a Merseyside derby in the final if Everton can win the match […]
Leicester have bobbled and tried to seize control of the Premier League’s top spot for much of the season but their rivals for the title are still hot on their back. Manchester City and Arsenal are just a win away from disposing them of first place and Tottenham Hotspur are five […]
Chinese club Jiangsu Suning’s 50 million euro ($56 million) signing of Brazilian midfielder Alex Teixeira from Ukraine’s Shakhtar Donetsk on Friday saw the Chinese Super League overtake the English Premier League in spending during the winter transfer window, the transfermarkt website said. According to the website, which tracks commercial dealings […]
Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez fired Leicester back to the top of the Premier League and extended Chelsea’s miserable season with a 2-1 victory on Monday that heaped renewed pressure on Jose Mourinho. Mahrez created Vardy’s 15th goal of the season with a wonderful cross on 34 minutes. Then the […]
NBC analyst Robbie Mustoe described it as one of the most honest post-match interviews he’s seen from Jose Mourinho. After Chelsea’s 2-1 loss to Leicester at the King Power stadium, Mourinho confessed the Foxes were better for the first hour, but he also admitted to feeling “betrayed” by players’ inability […]
To say Tottenham were resting on the laurels of their 14-game unbeaten run in the Premier League is a bit harsh. But cracks were starting to show before Sunday’s loss to Newcastle, the first of which was not putting a weak Arsenal side to the sword at the Emirates. Still, […]
Jose Mourinho insists he will fight to stay as Chelsea manager after accusing his players of betraying him in their 2-1 defeat at Premier League leaders Leicester City. Mourinho told Chelsea’s underachieving stars to be humble as they look to turn around their dismal defense of the English title and […]
To fully appreciate the implausibility of Leicester City’s astonishing rise to the top of the Premier League, wind the clock back 12 months. A year ago, Leicester were at the foot of the table, five points from safety with 10 points from 16 matches and looking dead certain for an […]