Americans Abroad Notes
- Benny Feilhaber appears closer to moving to Premier League newbies Derby County. Feilhaber made only nine appearances for Hamburg last year, and must be considered a hot commodity after his excellent summer with the US National Team. Should Derby sign a cultured midfielder like Feilhaber, maybe, just maybe they can escape the drop in the Premier League. If Feilhaber can adjust to the English game as quickly as he’s picked up the international game, he’ll be steal for Derby at any price.
- Danny Szetela’s agent, the incomparable Shep Messing indicates that a deal is not done yet with AS Roma and that both Lazio and MLS remain possibilities for Szetela beyond this season. Columbus will certainly be reluctant to give up Szetela in the middle of a playoff race, so any move to Serie A is unlikely to come until January.
- Speculation has linked Jay DeMerit to Fulham. It would be unfortunate if DeMerit moves to Fulham joining three other Americans, because in my estimation he has a better chance of Premiership Football next year by staying with Watford in the Championship. I am almost certain that Fulham without the managerial skill of Chris Coleman will be relegated this season. (I am picking them 20th: dead last in the Premier League).
- DaMarcus Beasley’s transfer to Rangers has paid dividends for the Glasgow club, and now UEFA thankfully is launching on investigation into the racial slurs hurled at Beasley after he scored the winning goal in Rangers Champions League Qualifying triumph on Tuesday.
- Danny Califf has been named the captain of his Danish club AoB who have also qualified for the UEFA Cup. Califf joins Steve Cherundolo and Brian McBride as Americans captaining European clubs. Last season Gregg Berhalter captained Bundesliga 2 outfit 1860 Munich, but has been demoted to vice captain this season.
About Kartik Krishnaiyer
A lifelong lover of soccer, the beautiful game, he served from January 2010 until May 2013 as the Director of Communications and Public Relations for the North American Soccer League (NASL).
Raised on the Fort Lauderdale Strikers of the old NASL, Krishnaiyer previously hosted the American Soccer Show on the Champions Soccer Radio Network, the Major League Soccer Talk podcast and the EPL Talk Podcast.
His soccer writing has been featured by several media outlets including The Guardian and The Telegraph. He is the author of the book Blue With Envy about Manchester City FC.
View all posts by Kartik Krishnaiyer →