MLS News and Notes
- David Beckham will miss tonight’s Superliga clash with Chivas of Guadlajara at the L.A. Colusium. The game was moved from the Home Dept Center to accommodate the masses of Chivas fans in the L.A. area and the Beckham mania surrounding the match. Expect an easy Chivas victory.
- FC Dallas takes on Pachuca in tonight’s other Superliga match without Drew Moor, who was red carded in the 1-1 draw with Chivas on Tuesday. Dallas looked the better squad in the match and will need to bring a similar “A” game to defeat Pachuca, the 2007 Mexican Clausura and CONCACAF Champions Cup winners, as well as the 2006 Copa Sudamericana champions. Pachuca outplayed Los Angeles on Tuesday but was beaten 2-1 thanks to some stellar individual play by Cobi Jones and Landon Donovan.
- Paulo Wanchope has signed for Chicago. A great move for the Fire, and quite frankly it’s baffling with Wanchope available that the L.A. Galaxy opted for Carlos Pavon. Wanchope actually went to High School in L.A. before returning to Costa Rica and then playing 8 seasons of Premiership Football in England, most notably with Manchester City and Derby County.
- L.A.’s other MLS club, Chivas USA is flying under the radar but looks like they could be as strong as any team save Houston. A great pass by Maykel Galindo to the head of Ante Razov sunk Red Bull NY Thursday night at Giants Stadium. Preki has his team playing confident, solid soccer at the right time of the season.
- Freddy Adu could not work out personal terms with Benfica and will stay in MLS for now. Expect more European clubs and perhaps Benfica again to come calling on the RSL winger before the transfer windown shuts August 31st.
- Several British papers are reporting US U-20 star Danny Szetela of the Columbus Crew who scored 3 goals in the U-20 World Cup has attracted the attention of several EPL clubs.
About Kartik Krishnaiyer
A lifelong lover of soccer, the beautiful game, he served from January 2010 until May 2013 as the Director of Communications and Public Relations for the North American Soccer League (NASL).
Raised on the Fort Lauderdale Strikers of the old NASL, Krishnaiyer previously hosted the American Soccer Show on the Champions Soccer Radio Network, the Major League Soccer Talk podcast and the EPL Talk Podcast.
His soccer writing has been featured by several media outlets including The Guardian and The Telegraph. He is the author of the book Blue With Envy about Manchester City FC.
View all posts by Kartik Krishnaiyer →