SUN, 8:30AM ET
CRY
SUN, 3PM ET
LEV
BAR

Don't Believe The Hype: David Beckham

david beckham la galaxy Don't Believe The Hype: David Beckham

I realize than even by writing this article, I’m contributing to the mass hysteria revolving around the David Beckham story, but I have to say a few things.

I’ve purposefully avoided much talk about Becks on the EPL Talk Podcast and this, the EPL Talk Blog for many reasons. Most importantly, while I realize he’s a megastar and will inject much needed attention for Major League Soccer, he is still just one player, one man and the amount of attention he’s currently getting is way out of proportion.

Unbelievably, some of the worst culprits are the British press. Golden Balls hasn’t even been unveiled to the worldwide press and the British broadsheets are already focusing a lot of attention on the news and Major League Soccer.

While I’m in complete agreement with the decision to bring Beckham over, I’d rather wait a few weeks and let him settle in first and then see what the reaction is on the pitch and in the hearts and minds of Americans. If something newsworthy does happen, I’ll write about it. But, for now, don’t believe the hype.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Don't Believe The Hype: David Beckham

1. Anonymous says:

No comments on this, please.

2. The Gaffer says:

Well, maybe one comment or two — or maybe more ; )

3. Todd says:

but in all honesty, arent you doing all of us a disservice by not covering it? like it or not, its a story. and if there are chances its being overhyped, then they are chances it isnt. im excited about it and will follow it closely. that has nothing to do with him being the savior of the league. im just excited about whats going on and how i cant turn on ESPN the past few weeks and not hear a mention of soccer. theres something going on and pretending it isnt, to me, seems like missing the point. i understand your view gaffer, however i disagree

4. The Gaffer says:

Todd:

Good points. In all honesty, I don’t think – right now – there is anything I can add regarding the Beckham story that hasn’t been said already.

If I observe something of importance, I’ll write about it. I’m not banning him by no means.

Yes, it’s a huge story and it’s going to help out soccer in the US without a doubt. But I’m not ready to jump on the bandwagon just quite yet. Let’s see what Becks does and how he acts first. That’s my two cents.

5. Todd says:

i think thats a fair position to take. perhaps i was under the impression you wanted to snub the story a bit in protest of its overhype. i wouldnt expect you to be posting links to the latest beckham spread in a magazine, but i personally would be interested in information about the press conference tomorrow etc.

6. Dan says:

I just thought you were avoiding the story because this is an EPL blog. Beckham, Real Madrid, LA Galaxy, MLS all have nothing to do with the EPL. Perhaps you should’ve timed this article the day of the LA Galaxy vs. Chelsea exhibition.

7. Kartik says:

The hype and mass hysteria is out of control. True one of the great world footballers has come to America but he’s come to arguably the worst run franchise in American Soccer. The Galaxy who despite two MLS Cup titles, are more or less the Newcastle of MLS. Would you want to put your prized commodity on Newcastle? I think not.

8. Kartik says:

My point is the Galaxy are still a marginal playoff team at best even with Becks, and they will be easily the worst team in the Superliga, which we will preview next week on majorleaguesoccertalk.com

(click the link on the left bar on the front page of this )

9. tyduffy says:

Gaffer,

I admire your principle stand. However, since my hit count on my humble little blog has skyrocketed due to articles I wrote about Beckham months ago that had nothing to do with it, I felt compelled to write a post about it. It’s shameless, I know. But I need all the help I can get.

10. MJ says:

Kartik, did you honestly just say that the LA Galaxy are “arguably the worst run franchise in American soccer”? That comment couldn’t be any more off base, and let me tell you briefly why.

1. The LA Galaxy were the first team in MLS history to turn a profit in a season, and they’re one of only two teams ever to make a profit (FC Dallas).

2. They have the largest soccer-specific stadium in MLS (27,000), one which is used often by the men’s and women’s US National Team.

3. They’re coached by Frank Yallop, who played 385 games for Ipswich Town, led the San Jose Earthquakes to a championship in his first season as head coach (in 2001, when he was the MLS Coach of the Year) and another championship in 2003, and has coached the Canadian national team.

4. They’re owned by the Anschutz Entertainment Group, which also owns other sports teams throughout the world, including the NHL’s LA Kings and their AHL affiliate, the Manchester Monarchs, five European hockey franchises, the Chicago Fire, and the Houston Dynamo. The group also has interests in the LA Lakers, LA Sparks, and Hammarby (a Swedish soccer team).

5. They’ve won the MLS Cup twice and been runners-up three times.

But yes, they’re the worst run franchise in American soccer.