- If you missed the Brazil against Uruguay semi-final of Copa America last night, you could have seen a classic. The entertainment value was extremely high as both teams came so close to winning the match within regulation. Uruguay continually threatened Brazil and were unfortunate not to win the match. After ending 2-2 in regulation, the match proceeded to penalties where Brazil squeezed by with a win.
Earlier in the match, there was a comical moment when one of the floodlight pylons shut down and a corner of the pitch was cloaked in darkness. What an embarrassment for the hosts Venezuela. Power was soon restored (after 15 minutes), but it’s not often that you see things like this happen during a world-class match.
- The Carlos Tevez transfer saga continues with the Premier League warning West Ham that they could face additional disciplinary charges if they don’t stand up and fight to receive the transfer fee from Man United.
The Premier League finds itself in an extremely position because Sheffield United’s case will be heard at the High Court in England this Friday. Reading between the lines regarding this transfer saga, it appears that Kia Joorabchian still owns the player while West Ham owns his registration. In order for the Premier League to escape this transfer cleanly, West Ham will have to receive all of the transfer fee. If not, the case could expose the Premier League and/or West Ham to litigation from Sheffield United.
- Blackburn Rovers will be dropping sponsor Bet24 at the end of the 2007/2008 season and replacing them with someone else. Rovers has broken new ground by hiring an agency to find a suitable sponsor for the 2008/2009 season.
- TWI has announced that it’ll be producing 900 hours of content during the upcoming 07/08 EPL season for viewers worldwide. They’ll be broadcasting all 380 matches live and offering 92 of them in HD. In the United States, of course, we won’t see all of the matches and they won’t be available in HD on Fox Soccer Channel or Setanta, but this just gives you an idea of how much English soccer we could be experiencing if Fox decides to expand what they already provide us.
- This week’s EPL Talk Podcast has been released (sorry for the delay). It features an interview with Peter Lawlor, the composer and songwriter of the new EPL theme entitled “My Saturday Self” which will played before every Premier League match as well as on the preview and review shows on television.
- The latest episode of the Major League Soccer Talk Podcast has been published featuring an interview with Lindsey Dean, the GolTV commentator. Host Kartik Krishnaiyer dissects the U.S.’s performances at Copa America and delves deep into the recent U.S. u-20 win against Brazil in the under-20 World Cup.
More in General,Leagues: EPL
Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Özil are Arsenal’s big guns (I’d also probably add Petr Cech as well), there is no denying that. The dynamic offensive duo are major talents and have been brilliant during the current campaign. Alexis has netted 10 total goals on the season, despite missing a chunk […]
The beginning of a remarkable demise for Manchester United was the 0-3 defeat against Arsenal in October. As you’d expect, especially in England, the manager is the one taking all the flak, and on this occasion, rightly so. To be frank, Louis Van Gaal and Manchester United were never made […]
Sunderland’s England international winger Adam Johnson pleaded guilty to one count of sexual activity with a child and one count of grooming at his under-age sex trial on Wednesday. The 28-year-old player, capped 12 times by England, continues to deny two other charges of sexual activity with a girl aged […]
Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri has again distanced himself from the Chelsea manager’s job amid claims he will replace interim boss Guus Hiddink at the end of the season. Allegri, who steered the Turin giants to the Champions League final last year, has a contract until June 2017 but is reported […]
A lot of people take betting lightly and make decisions based on sheer luck. However, this ignorance can cause them to lose all their money. The most imperative thing to understand is that betting is not a child’s game. There are professional gamblers out there for whom this is business, […]
Jurgen Klopp predicted brighter days ahead for his Liverpool youngsters after they fell to an Angelo Ogbonna buzzer beater against West Ham United in their FA Cup fourth-round replay on Tuesday. A team featuring two players aged 20, a 21-year-old, two 22-year-olds and 18-year-old midfielder Pedro Chirivella stood toe-to-toe with […]
Angelo Ogbonna headed home in stoppage time of extra time as West Ham United stunned a youthful Liverpool team 2-1 in Tuesday’s FA Cup fourth-round replay at Upton Park. Philippe Coutinho’s clever free-kick had cancelled out Michail Antonio’s volleyed opener for West Ham and the game was seconds from a […]
NBC Sports has released a promotional video to build up the momentum ahead of Sunday’s Premier League match between Arsenal and Leicester City. The Foxes take on the Gunners in a game that will be televised live across the United States on NBCSN beginning at 7am ET (pre-match coverage begins […]
We recently discussed how American soccer players have featured less and less in top European leagues over the course of the last several seasons as MLS has become a stronger force financially. Since MLS has now seen the value in having core US Men’s National Team (USMNT) footballers playing in North America […]
John Terry, 35, says he may be finished with Chelsea at the end of the season after revealing the club is not planning on extending his contract. The big question surrounding the player is where next? He has been linked with clubs in China and the Middle East. But the obvious move […]
With just 16 matches remaining on the Barclays Premier League fixture list, Arsenal, along with every other British top-tier team, will be looking to finish off the season on a high note. The current campaign for the Gunners has been a bit of seesaw season. While the north London outfit […]
The draw for the FA Cup Fourth Round has been made, and it features several intriguing matches. West Brom or Bristol City vs. Peterborough Eastleigh or Bolton vs. Leeds United Arsenal vs. Burnley Derby County vs. Manchester United Huddersfield or Reading vs. Walsall Exeter or Liverpool vs. West Ham United […]
Claudio Ranieri believes Jamie Vardy and his Leicester team-mates have been revitalized just in time for their crunch Premier League clashes with Manchester City and Arsenal. Ranieri’s shock table-toppers travel to City on Saturday before facing Arsenal with their confidence sky-high after underlining their title credentials with an impressive 2-0 […]
Argentine forward Mauro Zarate has joined Serie A club Fiorentina from West Ham, the Premier League side announced on Thursday. Zarate signed for the Hammers from Velez Sarsfield in 2014, but struggled to hold down a regular first-team place following the arrival of new boss Slaven Bilic last year. The […]
English soccer fans are fortunate to be witnessing one of those incredible seasons set on fire with its unpredictability and surreal results aplenty. The quality of the soccer when compared with the spending has been highly questionable with none of the title-challenging teams matching the quality of soccer that one would expect. Be it […]
Chelsea will look to overcome the disappointment of Wednesday’s 2-2 draw at home to West Brom when they host Everton on Saturday. The Blues are unbeaten in six league games since the departure of Jose Mourinho but only three of those have been wins, with three draws in that time […]
Olivier Giroud may be the most polarizing player in the Premier League. Despite the fact that the Frenchman has scored the second-most goals in the prestigious league since the start of the 2013-14 season, behind only Sergio Agüero, Giroud has his fair share of detractors. The Arsenal striker’s statistics are […]
DISH Network is adding the Premier League Extra Time channels to its programming beginning this Saturday, December 12. With Premier League Extra Time, soccer fans in the United States can watch any of the Premier League matches that are not shown on NBCSN, NBC or USA. “DISH customers with a […]
Serie A takes center stage this weekend, with four of the top five sides in the Italian top flight squaring off in what’s likely to be a bumper Sunday of soccer. Aside from those clashes, set to make a big impact on which teams are to be considered genuine challengers […]
If you’ve watched a Premier League match on NBC Sports Live Extra during the past 18 months, you may have noticed the ‘Tactical Cam’ option that’s available in the top right corner of the window for select matches. After opening the tactical cam window, the feature gives you the opportunity […]