SAT, 7:45AM ET
REAL
BARCA
SAT, 12:30PM ET
SWA
LEI

Is Abramovich Mad?

chelsea blue paint adidas 600x412 Is Abramovich Mad?

If a tree falls in a forest and there is nobody to hear it, does it make a sound? Or in footballing terms, if Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea side goes on to win the treble or quadruple this season, will he still get the sack? I honestly believe that Roman Abramovich is mad. It appears extremely likely that no matter what Mourinho does this season, Abramovich’s plan to bring in Guus Hiddink and form a committee to govern the team will happen.While no one can doubt the talents of Hiddink, I honestly don’t believe he’ll be able to achieve more than Mourinho. The only difference perhaps is that he’ll allow Chelsea to play a more attractive brand of football on the pitch to turn Abramovich’s smirks into smiles.The Chelsea fans won’t be smiling though. They’ve formed a massive bond with Mourinho. Jose’s replacement will have the almost impossible task of winning the fans over. And you know that whoever it’ll be (Hiddink or someone else), they’ll always be compared to Mourinho behind their backs and in the press. Not easy shoes to step in to, to say the least.Abramovich risks losing the support of the fans, too. He was welcomed with open arms when he bought the club and opened his checkbook. However, the patience of the Chelsea fans with Abramovich will start to run out if the new manager is unable to replicate the success that Mourinho achieved.It’s ridiculous, really. The more Mourinho keeps on winning in the next few weeks will garner more support among the fans and press; thereby increasing the pressure on Abramovich to question whether he should let Jose go or not. I’m still convinced that no matter what happens, Mourinho will leave due to the friction that exists between Abramovich and Mourinho. In doing so, Abramovich is breaking one of the golden rules of business: making the sacking of Jose a personal decision, rather than a business one. And for that, I believe Chelsea will suffer.

This entry was posted in Chelsea, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Is Abramovich Mad?

1. Patrick says:

it’s Roman’s toy and he can do what he wants with it. No-one criticized the kid from toy story when he switched from the cowboy to Buzz Lightyear:)

I think Jose should go and manage Barnsley for a couple of seasons, get some humility.

2. Anonymous says:

If he loses the support of the chelsea “faithful”, all that will happen is they’ll lose their club. Can’t see him putting up with fans chanting for him to go, so the fans will have to lump it really. His club, His rules. All he has to do is sell up, get his massive loan back from the clubs bank and “see ya later Chelsea, no one gives a *ck about ya!!!”

3. Christopher says:

I’ve done a 180 on Jose. I’ve always respected him as a manager, but I didn’t really “get” his personality. I’m a big fan now. I laugh just about every time I hear him talk.

I think Roman would be insane to let him go. I guess it’s pretty hard/pointless to argue with a billionaire.

4. BillEShears says:

I don’t think that he is necessarily mad. He is not running the club as a business, he is running it for his own enjoyment. He has broken the piggy bank and spent hundreds of millions to bring in a world-class player at every position. Yet, they still play an annoying and cynical brand of football.

You can’t argue with The Special One’s results, but I think he is expecting a team to play exciting and riveting football and beat teams 3-4 nil every time out instead of grinding out mid-table Premiership sides 2-1 on last-minute goals.

5. Anonymous says:

I hate Chelsea, but I will be the first to admit that the Premier league needs a personality like Jose. He is a character, alright. It will be really sad to see him go after this season.

6. Nick says:

how long is your memory? Do you remember the little Italian who was loved by the Chelsea fans. They said Mouriniho would struggle to win over fans and press but all fans care about is winning, winnning well and playing good football is optional ask an Arsenal fan.

7. Anonymous says:

please be a bigger pawn for the british rags, please do try.

8. frank says:

From the fans point of view, or from the purely success based side of the fence, I would agree with your assessment. From a PR point or even a business view of things, Mourinho is a disaster. He and his side kick (EGO) can’t keep himself out of the negative lime light. I think the club has suffered for it and for that reason I can see why the Russian wants the EGO out.

9. EPLNFL says:

I think you have to separate the 2 Jose’s. The brilliant football manager and the comedian who speaks fractured English for effect.

Jose has made the EPL more entertaining. On the other hand his skill as a manager of the game on the pitch maybe unmatched. I really can’t say if he could build a organization from the ground up like Alex Ferguson.

I still am predicting that Jose will be in LA with Beckham before you know it.

10. Anonymous says:

I don’t think he is mad in any form. No one was asking if Roman was mad when he was spending roughly £120million per annum on tranfers and salary.
    If Chelsea fans want to fallout with Roman thats at their own detriment. It makes you wonder who is more valuable to the Fans, the man who has spent unpresedented amount to bring the best players to Chelsea or the loud mouth tactician from Portugal.
    The fans will be so daft to turn against Roman. He can always cut his loss and move. And what will happen next is left to anyone’s interpretation. Leeds United situation won’t be a far fetched scenario.