Random News From the World of English Football
- The first match that will open the new Wembley Stadium will be televised live for viewers of Fox Soccer Channel this Saturday when England’s under-21 side faces the Italy under-21 team. The new 90,000 stadium (discussed in more detail on the EPL Talk Podcast interview with Simon Inglis back in September) will be limited to a capacity of 60,000 for safety reasons. The match will kick off at 8:30am ET.
- There’s a fascinating article about Everton FC and their Goodison Park by BBC Sport, where they interview an Evertonian professor about whether it makes financial sense to remain at the historic stadium or move elsewhere.
- For those of you who missed it, I made a guest co-host appearance on Soccer Shout earlier this week. You can hear the episode from the SoccerShout.com website, or there’s a link in the “In The Media” section of the epltalk.com website.
- The soap opera that is Luton Town and their recently sacked manager Mike Newell has taken an interesting turn. To learn more, you have to read this fascinating article yourself to believe what the football club is saying. How much do you want to bet that Newell will find it difficult to get another job in football?
- In the meantime, be sure to check out Championship Talk, where Brian Koski and The Scout have been working incredibly hard to provide you with some of the latest news and intriguing stories from the Championship league.