The Road To Blackburn's Ewood Park

ewoodpark.0 The Road To Blackburn's Ewood Park
You’re now 18 days away from the beginning of a unique Premiership experience when EPL Talk visits England for 10 days of Premiership matches. As long as modern technology cooperates, you’ll be able to live the experience with me and see (and hear) first-hand what it’s like at a live Premiership match.

The itinerary for the trip is beginning to solidify. Last week, I shared the details of purchasing a ticket to the Fulham against Reading match. Well, yesterday I purchased my next ticket for the Blackburn Rovers against Tottenham Hotspur match, scheduled for Sunday, November 19 (live via Fox Soccer Channel at 11am ET).

So how did the experience compare with buying tickets on Fulham’s web site? Surprisingly it was even easier. After registering for free on the Blackburn web site, I ordered one ticket online for the Jack Walker Stand. The seat is in the lower level near the halfway line. The cost? 29 GBP, which is the equivalent of $55.

I originally was interested in buying a ticket for the Riverside Stand (pictured above), and Rovers is running a special right now at 15 GBP for a ticket although the seat is near the corner, which is uncovered. Plus the Riverside Stand has quite a few supporting pillars which impedes your view, and the other disadvantage is that the stand is pretty far back from the pitch. During matches at Ewood Park, you often see fans walking in front of the stand which is quite distracting for the TV viewer and fan inside the stand.

So I opted for the Jack Walker Stand immediately across from the Riverside Stand. It looks like a carbon copy of the modern brand of massive stands, but let’s see what the experience will be like.

Three reasons why I chose this match instead of the Wigan against Aston Villa one earlier that day: (1) The train journey from Liverpool to Blackburn is more convenient than Liverpool to Wigan. (2) The match is at 4pm, so it allows me to spend more time in Liverpool and hopefully be able to visit the Anfield Stadium Tour, and (3) Blackburn is closer to my next stop on the itinerary, the National Football Museum in Preston.

You’ll be able to experience the entire journey with me via podcasts, photos and more. The itinerary thus far looks like this:

Saturday, November 18:
Everton v Bolton (at Goodison Park)

Sunday, November 19:
Anfield Stadium Tour (Liverpool)
Blackburn v Spurs (at Ewood Park)

Monday, November 20:
National Football Museum (Preston)

Tuesday, November 21:
Arsenal v Hamburg (Champions League)

Saturday, November 25:
Fulham v Reading (at Craven Cottage)

More details (and matches) to come. Keep on visiting this blog to see where EPL Talk will be going next.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Road To Blackburn's Ewood Park

1. Anonymous says:

Don’t forget to try a Balti Pie!

2. Anonymous says:

You picked the wrong stand! No atmosphere among the suits and families of the Jack Walker. Best place is in the Blackburn End by miles.

3. Anonymous says:

I have to agree with the previous post. You shouls have got a ticket for the Blackburn End.
    Contact the club and see if you can swap it. ;-)

4. Anonymous says:

Not sure why the train trip to Blackburn is easier than that to Wigan as the most direct route would go via Wigan! Still Ewood is a better choice as Rovers are a club steeped in history, one of the original 12 clubs who founded the Football League and still the only club to have won the FA Cup three times in a row.

If you ask the club they may be able to get you a tour of the ground on your visit – they are usually very accommodating in that respect. Although the ground has newly built stands it is an historic site (over 100 years old) and during the modernisation they kept the old wood panelled Boardroom which is well worth a visit.

5. The Gaffer says:

Good feedback everyone, thanks.

When I check the train schedule from Liverpool’s Lime Street Station to Wigan, it shows me taking the train to St Helens Central and then I’d have to take a bus to Wigan via North Western.

Liverpool to Blackburn, meanwhile, doesn’t include a bus. All I would have to do is change at Manchester Victoria.

Thanks for the tip about the Blackburn End. I’ll check with the club to see if I can change the seat.

And excellent tip about the ground tour. One of the main reasons why I wanted to visit Ewood Park was because of architect Archibald Leitch. So I’d be very chuffed to see the board room.

6. Anonymous says:

Ah, the dread of Sunday engineering works on the railway – obviously there is some work on the line from Liverpool to Wigan. Going via Manchester will be fairly quick anyway. Enjoy your day.

7. The Gaffer says:

Let’s hope the Rovers fans are correct about the atmosphere. The club was kind enough to switch my seat from the Jack Walker Stand to the Blackburn End and refund me the difference.

I’ll be in Area N03 Row 19.

I’ll bring my digital tape recorder to capture the sounds from the Blackburn End as well as a camera to snap pictures and share with the Americans how passionate the Rovers fans are.

So far, I’ve been extremely impressed by the service from Rovers. Very kind and professional.