Powered by
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Events Planned This Weekend for Premiership Viewers

Premiership Countdown: 1 Day to Go.

Wherever you are in the world, you’re invited to experience the Premiership on the EPL Talk web site. Here are some of the features you’ll be interested in:

• On the home page, the scores will be updated minute-by-minute. Clicking on the team names under ‘Premiership Results’ will bring up the live match report.
  • We’ll have the webcam turned on, so you can chat with Premiership fans (and me) from around the world as you keep one eye on the action. Just click on the words ‘EPL Talk’ right now in the center of the EPL Talk.com homepage to see how it works.
  • Live Premiership table will automatically be updated as the goals go in.
  • Don’t forget to sign up for the free EPL Talk fantasy league, too, where we’ll be offering a prize to the winner at the end of the season. Find out more details here.
  • Visit this blog so you can read everyone’s feedback – in real time – regarding the Premiership, ITVN and all of the weekend’s action.
  • Lastly, watch out for the newest episode of the EPL Talk Podcast, scheduled for release this Sunday night featuring two surprise guests. More details to come this weekend.

Just because it’s the weekend doesn’t mean that EPL Talk “switches off” like other venues out there. Experience the Premiership with us. We look forward to seeing you online.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Events Planned This Weekend for Premiership Viewers

1. The Mod says:

are setanta showing a free preview this weekend?

2. Anonymous says:

Folks:

Let’s start a thread here comparing video quality and ITVN set ups

Here’s mine: composite cables (watchable but blury edges)

ITVN says componant cables will make a substantial difference.

I find the audio to be very good, but there are loud pops every now and then no biggie.

what’s been your experience?

3. The Gaffer says:

Mod,

Yes, Setanta is showing a free preview but only for DirecTV subscribers.

4. C.Marlins says:

I got my Setanta via ITVN working tonight as well. Using a gaming adapter to get the settop box connected to a wireless network. My video results are similar to the earlier post using the composite cables. Unfortunately I don’t have the option to go to component with my TV. Perhaps S-video cable, but I’m not sure I have an open input.

My audio level seemed a little low compared to other channels, but nothing worrisome.

All in all I’ll have a big grin on my face when I watch Liverpool take the pitch tomorrow morning.

Best wishes to your team as well!

5. Anonymous says:

im waiting for my 2nd box to come back tomorrow. i was impressed so far but i cant wait to see a game im really in to. i hope buffering isnt a problem. i just want to add, epltalk has been so great lately. its just blown away so many of the other soccer sites i frequent. thanks gaffer!

6. Anonymous says:

I hooked my itvn box up to a switch, anticipating running it through the VCR using composite/RCA cables for the early matches, and using S-Video for live matches. Switching back and forth I did not see any significant difference. The S-Video may have been a bit sharper, but I felt this accentuated the digital artifacts. Composite/RCA is fine for me. My TV is an older Sony WEGA CRT, and does not accept Component cables. FYI, the manual does say something about not running both S-Video and Component cables simultaneously.

7. The Mod says:

I have directv and its saturday right now and nothing showing, maybe its when the games come on! lol

8. The Gaffer says:

Mod,

It starts this morning at 6am ET.

9. Anonymous says:

I agree, I wouldn’t bother much with the component cables with ITVN. Its sharper for me… but just shows up all the compression artifects you don’t notice so much with the more blurry composite connection.

10. the tokyo toffeeman says:

I must have been the only person viewing the webcam at the start – the gaffer looked a bit down, wonder if it was the trauma of getting up so early, teething probs with ITVN, or just the effect of watching boring boring Liverpool…..

11. Simon Burke says:

watching liverpool and arsenal here, first game was great, arsenal audio is shaky. One thing i have noticed – setanta feed gives out scores of other games. If United were on tape delay this afternoon i would know that result as setanta makde sure to tell us. Any way we can lobby for this to change?

12. The Gaffer says:

Tokyo,

Teething problems. It’s been a rough night. Got the ITVN box last night (Friday). Rushed to the store to get a wireless game adapter, didn’t realize I needed one. Stayed up for 2 hours only to find out the adapter didn’t work, so no ITVN for me (quite yet, at least).

Then I got 3 hours sleep on the couch before waking up at 6am to do a podcast interview with two blokes from Australia.

More details to come, but we had about a dozen people on the webcam chat this morning.

13. Anonymous says:

Just watched Arsenal v. Aston Villa on ITVN. I’m using the component cables on a big (67 inch) Samsung DLP screen. Bit rate was sustained throughout the game at maximum (1,000 kbps). Edges are quite blurry when players are moving at top speed and the audio volume output by the ITVN box is lower than my other sources.

But … your eyes adjust after a few minutes and it wasn’t too bad.

14. C.Marlins says:

I thought the picture was better this morning although the Liverpool result was not what I was looking for. Picture and audio were fine for me through the first two games.

Gaffer – I had to use the ITVN instructions to manually enter the IP address, subnet, etc. to get my gaming adapter to work. It wouldn’t find the IP address automatically on my set up.

Overall I am pleased with ITVN and Setanta so far. Though I may bite the bullet and get direcTV to start 2007 (since I’ll then be able to get FSC and GolTV too).

15. Simon Burke says:

Awesome – watching reading V Boro here and FSC has a ticker that displays scores – including the final score of this game at the bottom -quality FSC… lcukily i already knew it but if i didnt i would be pi*sed.

16. Chris says:

What a great Saturday! I had a couple of buffering problems during the first 10 minutes of the Liverpool/Sheffield United match, but they were quickly gone. I watched the better part of four games today, and plan on watching two more tomorrow. My audio pops every once and a while, but it really isn’t too annoying. The video quality isn’t perfect, but like someone else said you get used to it quickly.

17. Anonymous says:

Just finished watching the replay of Liverpool/Sheffield United. Picture was fine and Audio had a few occasional pops. I’m on the West Coast, so I had turned on the box last night and set my VCR to record. Little did I know that ITVN has a screen saver, and all that recorded was a black screen with itvn logo floating. I ask tech support to tell me what causes the screen saver to come on, but they responded rather curtly with word that that don’t support recording their programming. I replied asking specifically what conditions make the screen saver come on, but no response yet. My best guess is several hours without any use of the remote. This may be a deal breaker for me. Anyone else have this problem, or suggestions?

18. Anonymous says:

Very interesting point made by some regarding connection cable upgrades impacting video quality positively (ie: chroma/contrast/saturation) but actually accentuating what I can only assume are throughput (bandwidth) issues.

Perhaps if ITVN bumped up their stream another 250-300kbs the compression effects/blurring and sharp audio pops would be greatly alleviated.

Because this is really cutting edge tech I am not too bothered. I do feel however that there should be a price point difference between the higher quality of Dish subs v. the internet ($9.99 sounds fair givin the above and lack of recording ability)…

What do y’all think?

19. mw702 says:

For ITVN, do you need to unhook the box after each EPL match or does it stay hooked up all the time even when watching cable TV?

20. Simon Burke says:

Gotta say the lack of recording is annoying – i too get a screensaver and have no idea what triggers it. I was fine all day Saturday but Sunday for United replay i had terrible buffering – so its hit and miss somewhat.

I think its worth more like a tenner a month than 15 as there are still issues with the feed.

21. The Gaffer says:

Jason,

I’ve put the question to ITVN to answer, so I’ll let everyone know the answer here on this blog posting as soon as I hear from them.

22. The Gaffer says:

In answer to your questions about the ITVN screensaver that appears, here’s what ITVN said:

“Concerning the screen saver, a fix will be in place by the end of next week that will solve their problems. We continue to strive to satisfy our subscribers and welcome the feedback from your readers.”

Let me know if you have any additional questions for ITVN.

23. Anonymous says:

The light smudges beat the darker smudges yesterday on ITVN’s Spurs/Blades match…

Please ask if they have any plans on increaseing the bandwidth (streaming at 1300 instead of 1000kbs) in the near future.

They claim cable quality, but it’s not even close, guess I’ll keep the box for the trial period, but unless they’re gonna improve the feed, I’ll be forced to retun the equipment.

Thanks for the help!

24. Anonymous says:

Did they ever get that fix in place? :/

25. The Gaffer says:

Nope, I don’t believe so.

26. Anonymous says:

Pity, it’s my only real complaint thus far as I am unable to record games. Thanks for the help though. Love the podcast, always listen at work.