Question for American World Cup Viewers

I’m curious. If you’re an American fan and you’re following the World Cup, what team are you supporting now that the US is out of the tournament? Are you watching the matches just for the enjoyment of it, or do you find yourself rooting for a team such as England? If so, why? Is it because you also follow the Premiership?

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, World Cup. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Question for American World Cup Viewers

1. Anonymous says:

Well, I was cheering and still watching for the Dutch for no other reason than my main exposure to European football came from ESPN broadcasts of the Dutch league (what was that, 10 or 12 years back?). I have since been a fan of Bergkamp, Davids, et al. And I’m learning about their new crop. I’m also watching to see how far England can make it with such mediocre play. And I’m watching to see if Messi is as amazing as people say.

There are many great matches still to come. But I’m already a football fan (and as annoyed as you by Dave O’Brien).
    b

2. Anonymous says:

I am now rooting for England for exactly that reason. I watch the Prem as often as possible on TV, but I really will not be as upset at an English exit as the American one, even as I had been expecting it since the moment the groups were drawn. Mostly I just want now to watch some top-class exciting football.

3. Anonymous says:

Basically just watching for the great matchups. Looking forward to the Germany/Argentina game, and the Brazil (I think they will easily beat Ghana) against Spain/France winner. I’m rooting for England and Germany to meet in the final, but just watching because I have become a fan of soccer over the past couple years.

4. Anonymous says:

I’m an American fan of Arsenal, and I’m supporting Spain. Looking for good contributions from Fabregas. More than anything, after suffering through the two games today, I would like to see some attacking football. Maybe France and Spain will deliver.

5. JC says:

England is always my second team because Premiership soccer is my soccer of choice.

That being said, I was pulling for the socceroos until that awful, awful call knocked them out today.

6. steve51 says:

I atm Canadian so I was following he US as they were the N. American represtatives at the W.C. as Canada didn’t make it to Germany. I follow MLS soccer and the EPL. I was disappointed with the 1st US game against the Czech Rep. Happier with their scrap against Italy, and disappointed again with their game against Ghana. The Aussie’s were a huge surprise and I enjoyed their performances tremendously. I’m originally from England and I’ll follow them to victory or their demise. Other than England I’d prefer country that hasn’t won before to win. That leaves Ukraine and Portugal.

7. steve51 says:

I am a Canadian. I was supporting
    the US as they were the North American represtatives at the W.C. as Canada didn’t make it to Germany. I follow MLS soccer and the EPL. I was disappointed with the 1st US game against the Czech Rep. Happier with their scrap against Italy, and disappointed again with their game against Ghana. The Aussie’s were a huge surprise and I enjoyed their performances tremendously. I’m originally from England and I’ll follow them to victory or their demise. Other than England I’d prefer a country that hasn’t won before to win. That leaves Ukraine and Portugal.

8. Anonymous says:

Half of my family is Italian, and I lived in London for two years, so it’s just my luck to support three (counting the United States) of the least aesthetically pleasing teams in the Cup.

9. Anonymous says:

I’m going to watch the rest of the WC because I love the sport. I’d like to see Englad do well since I generally follow the EPL, but honestly I’m a Newcastle fan and with Owen being out, I’m watching mainly just to see good football.